https://www.italianfoodandflavours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/risso2.jpg 578 850 rupert http://www.italianfoodandflavours.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/logo_square_150.jpg rupert2015-01-27 11:06:242017-01-05 14:36:42verza ripassata: cabbage with sausage recipePrint
cabbage with sausage recipe
Verza ripassata: cabbage with sausage
Today I want to suggest a typical winter dish, a modern variation on a traditional lunch from this time of year in rural and agricultural areas of Italy. This take on the local "Cossignanese" - from my home town of Cossignano - involves two very important ingredients available during this season. The two main ingredients sausage and cabbage are combined here because traditionally in country farms and houses a pig is is killed during the coldest days between December and February and the humble cabbage is the main protagonist of the "orto" kitchen garden or allotment during those same months.
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 1kg cabbage
- 200g potatoes
- olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 italian sausages, de-skinned
- chilli (optional)
- rosemary sprigs
- thinly sliced fried purple potatoes
- Take a small whole green cabbage and remove the outermost, damaged leaves, then chop roughly and remove the hard central core of the cabbage, what we call "removing the bone". Now rinsed the cabbage thoroughly and boil in lightly salted water with 200 g of peeled potatoes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry the whole pealed garlic with two sprigs of rosemary in olive oil, when the garlic is golden brown remove it and crumble in the three sausages and cook them well and mash with a fork. The vegetables are cooked when the potatoes are crushed easily, at this point drain the pan and using a colander transfer the cabbage to a chopping board and chop finely. Add the cabbage to the sausage pan and braise for about thirty minutes, adding some of the cooking water as needed to prevent drying out. To serve add in the mashed potatoes, season with salt ad pepper and serve topped with the fried potatoes and fresh rosemary.
- To add spice to the dish add chilli to taste 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Cooking Holidays Italy https://www.italianfoodandflavours.com/